Camden County Prosecutor Warren W. Faulk and Camden County Police Chief Scott Thomson reported two men being held in connection with the disappearance and death of a 41-year-old Camden woman have been charged with Murder.

Carlos Alicea-Antonetti, M/36, of Camden, and Ramon Ortiz, M/57, of Pennsauken, are charged with Murder in the death of Fatima Perez. They were arraigned today before Camden County Superior Court Judge Edward McBride and are being held on $5 million full cash bail each.

It is alleged Alicea-Antonetti, an acquaintance of the victim, picked up Perez Monday, May 12, in his van near her home on the 400 block of N. 41st Street to drive her to buy a car. Perez carried $8,000 for the purchase, according to her family. While Perez was in the car, Alicea-Antonetti also picked up Ortiz, an employee at Alicea-Antonetti’s landscaping business Villa Coamo Landscaping and General Maintenance. According to the probable cause statement, the two men offered differing accounts of the sequence of events, but both provided information that Perez was left bound and blindfolded with duct tape lying in the back of the van. More duct tape covered her mouth.

The two men are accused of driving to a wooded area near Clayton Road in Monroe Township, where Ortiz used a shovel to dig a hole. It is alleged they placed Perez in the hole, covered her in quicklime, and buried her. The two defendants stated Perez was alive as they buried her. Based on information received during the investigation, Perez appears to have been buried some time after dark Monday night.

Perez was reported missing by her family at 4:26 p.m. Monday. Camden County Police detectives learned from family the victim was likely with Alicea-Antonetti and Ortiz and over the next 24 hours worked to find these men. Sources led them to the Express Inn in Cherry Hill, where the two men were staying. Officers from the Camden County Police and the Cherry Hill Police Department took the two defendants into custody about 3 a.m. Wednesday. Alicea-Antonetti had $7,000 in his possession when detained.

According to the probable cause statement, Ortiz led investigators to the location where he and Alicea-Antonetti had buried Perez. Investigators unearthed her remains about 11 a.m. Wednesday. Prosecutor Faulk credited the assistance of the Monroe Township Police and the Gloucester County Prosecutor’s Office in the recovery effort.

The two men were charged late Wednesday.

An autopsy determined asphyxiation caused Perez’s death. All persons charged with criminal offenses are innocent unless and until convicted in a court of law.


Probable cause statement attached here