The members of the Camden County Prosecutor’s Office wish you a peaceful and joyous holiday season. As we rush to finish our gift shopping or attend holiday parties, Acting Camden County Prosecutor Jill S. Mayer reminds anyone using a ride share service to be safe.
Please take heed of the materials below urging any ride share users to ask, “What’s my name” to your driver on their arrival. In doing so, we honor the memory of Samantha Josephson, a senior at the University of South Carolina, who was kidnapped and murdered in March 2019, after she got into a vehicle she had mistaken for her ride share driver. To honor their daughter, Samantha’s parents now reach out to ride share users through #whatsmyname – a movement imploring customers to confirm that the driver who arrives is in fact their driver. Be safe!
10 Tips to Stay Safe while Ridesharing:
- Confirm your driver, the vehicle and the license plate before getting in
- Share your Trip and ETA with a friend or family member
- Wait for your ride inside
- Follow along on your phone’s GPS
- Sit in the back seat
- Check your driver’s rating
- Never pay in cash
- Travel in groups whenever possible
- Keep your personal information confidential
- Wear your seatbelt
Released Thursday, December 19, 2019